Rules and Regulations
ALL ENTRIES ARE SUBJECT TO THE FOLLOWING RULES
1. The adjudicator’s decision is final.
2. All competitors will dance completely at their own risk.
3. The committee will not accept late entries.
4. The committee reserves the right to refuse entries.
5. The committee reserves the right to request proof of age at any time.
6. Competitors entering solo sections can only enter their own age group in either open or novice sections – not both
7. Any competitor placed 1st or 2nd in any competition in the past 3 years (from 1st January 2014) must dance in Open section.
8. Entries to be accepted on Stardom only or at the committees discretion.
9. Dance Teachers or a parent will be allowed side stage during their student’s/child’s item.
10. A competitor who leaves the stage during an item can reappear for a “crit” only, unless it was through no fault of their own.
11. Age of competitors participating in SOLOS / DUOS / TRIOS and Troupes to be determined as at 1st January 2017.
12. Competitors may only appear once in any section including Duos/Trios & Troupes. Competitors participating in Duos/Trios can only enter one age group in each style of dance.
13. Competitors are not entitled to a refund of fees in cases of non-appearance in any section.
14. Where only one competitor presents, they will be adjudicated to such standard which the adjudicator deems appropriate. In the instance only one competitor presents, the committee reserves the right to withdraw the section if deemed appropriate.
15. Competitors, teachers, parents, guardians and all other members of the audience are not permitted to approach or communicate with the adjudicator or penciller throughout the course of the eisteddfod. All enquiries must be directed to the Secretary's desk. Any communication with the adjudicator may result in disqualification for the student involved and the audience member/s may be asked to leave the auditorium. Only the executive committee is permitted to communicate with the adjudicator throughout the course of the eisteddfod.
16. Time limits will be strictly adhered to – timing of dance commences from start of music or movement, whichever comes first, and finishes at end of movement or leaving stage.
17. All competitors participating in Championship Sections are required to be present on stage for presentation; failure to appear will result in disqualification.
18. Troupes must contain a minimum of 5 members.
19. Dangerous props will not be allowed on stage.
20. Open and novice sections can be combined at the committees discretion if insufficient numbers.
21. Complaints and/or grievances must be made in writing, signed by the protester and lodged at the secretary’s table not more than 10 minutes after the adjudication. Protests must be accompanied with a deposit of $20.00 which will be forfeited should the committee deem frivolous.
22. The committee will not permit vocal background or non-competing side stage assistance whilst competitors are singing in Song & Dance Sections – this will result in disqualification.
23. Competitors will be responsible for their own music,clearly marked and set ready for the operator to play. Music is to be booked in at the booking in table, located side stage, prior to the commencement of their section.
24. Students taught by the adjudicator in the past 12 months on a regular basis for more than 10 weeks will not be eligible to enter this competition.
25. Students and troupes must present on stage in order as per program.
26. The committee reserves the right to appoint another adjudicator should the occasion arise.
27. No blackouts in Classical, Tap or National sections.
28. This competition is open to amateurs only. Amateur to mean one whose regular income or part thereof is not derived from dancing/teaching. " Student Teachers" who are instructing no more than 4 students in private lessons, and/or who are assisting in class with a teacher present at all times may dance as amateurs.
29. No cameras or recording equipment will be permitted in the auditorium whilst competitors are performing, with the exception of the video & photo personnel hired by the committee.
30. The committee will not be responsible for lost items. (enquiries to the front desk)
31. Due to COPYRIGHT LAWS – All dancers must have the permission of the Choreographing Teacher to perform dance/s.
32. A competitor who has entered under a specified school/s at time of entries closing, may NOT perform at the Eisteddfod under an alternate school. Students may only perform under the school/s they have entered as it appears on their entry form. Students who do not abide by this rule can be disqualified under the discretion of the committee. Please note: Changes cannot be made after the closing date of entries.
33. In the event of an accident or illness, an ambulance may be called at the expense of the parent/guardian.
34. There will be no changes to the running of the competition once the running sheet is finalized.
35. Qualifying dances must be completed prior to prize money being given to award winners from championship sections.
36. No males are permitted in female dressing rooms.
37. The committee will not tolerate any form of slander (including written, verbal and/or on social media) towards the management of the eisteddfod including the decisions made by the employed adjudicator. Slander meaning the intentional spreading of information about a person or group of people that can damage their reputation which can result in legal defamation. The committee of The Great Southern Star Eisteddfod Inc will hold no responsibility if these actions occur.
38. All decisions made throughout the eisteddfod and the above rules are set at the executive committee's discretion.
39. No refund will be given for pre-purchased weekend passes
(updated April 2017)